Wednesday 21 September 2016

Progress - regress?

03/09/2014

I started a new chapter end April 2014. New approach to health and fitness and a determined mindset.
If you've read some of my other posts you'll see what I've been up to more specifically. I have however not reported of late on my progress and now my new challenge and temporary regress.





I started at 65kg and got to 60kg in 103 days.

While some people would say "thats not so much" or "you don't look that different", to me it was the perfect rate of weight loss paired with muscle gain/toning.

How... Well I started exercising more regularly (from 0 days a week, working my way up to about 5/6 days a week, cardio and strength training, at gym; by myself, with a personal trainer and my mentor and I started crossfit) I also changed the way I ate. Cut out all animal fats and processed sugars, actually I cut out all things processed). I started calorie counting, which generally has a negative connectation, but I was eating alot, wasn't often hungry and loved my food (and I'm quite a foodie). Low carb, but not no carbs, calculated protein, LOTS of fresh vegetables and loads of salad.

And then the unthinkable happened.... I tore my achilles tendon and had to have surgery.

So I guess we're at that part of the movie, the part where the dreaded thing happens right before the happy ending. So the only thing to do now is work towards my "happy ending" getting to where i was before and beyond, doing it slowly, systematically, so that my efforts result in a stronger more durable me.

Oh what would life be without it's challenges, and surely I have to learn something through this one...
So fall down 7 times, stand up 8! Don't loose your motivation, regardless the challenge. Yes this is a setback, yes i'm frustrated, yes it's hard, yes i'm tired, BUT what does complaining about it help. A positive mindset makes a more positive you, this speeds up recovery and makes you and the people around you happy. Be grumpy and eventually you'll end up alone.

So I've been sentenced to 6 weeks post op cast wearing, of which I'm 3 weeks down.

I can't do cardio and have been told to chill (sit still), which is challenging. I'm loosing weight but I blame that to loosing muscle (which turns into fat btw). So what am I doing? Every second day I do upper body with free weights (seated) and abs. Abs have turned out to be a challenge. To disengage your calf and achilles you need to bend your legs, like sitting cross legged, but with a half leg cast this isn't comfortable and completely possible either. So I've settled for various crunches and twists in the attemp to battle the bulge...

No comments:

Post a Comment